Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Flea Treatment for Dogs on a Budget

Summer is haven for fleas and hell for my pitbulls.  With 7 pitbulls and some new arrivals, fleas wrecking havoc in our house.  and I'm pretty sure they are all over the backyard.  Problems is, our pitbulls do come in the house and they bring their fleas along with them.  It's so bad, that some of our pitbulls had major skin allergic reaction from flea bites and ended up with mange.  Luckily, Dr. Grififin is inexpensive and was able to give my dog prescribe medication for the mange treatment.  But to do with all these freaking fleas.  I've tried many.  Here's what I know what works and my wallet can handle.

1.  Capstar -  works amazing.  Its a pill you give your dog or puppy and it kills the adult fleas on them.  and starts working in 30 minutes.  But last only for about 24 hours.  But atleast you know those adult fleas are dead.  Good if you have an infestation and need immediate result.  But Capstar is very expensive.  For 6 pills, you're going to pay about $30-40 at Walmart.  But can get them on ebay for about $20 bucks with free shipping.  and even better, generic brand is only about $11 for 6 pills.

2.    Hartz Ultra Guard Pro -  for dogs over 31-60 lbs.  and all my pitbulls are over 31 and under 60 lbs.  I got this at Kroger, my local grocery store,  and 3 comes in a package.  and cost about $15 bucks.  Suppose to last for a month.  and its my first time using it.  and it seems to work.  Atleast I don't see a major flea infestation anymore.  Meaning, before I use this flea treatment, I use a flea comb on my dogs and they have so many fleas!  I would literally get atleast a spoonful amount of fleas with the flea comb.  I know gross.  So I totally recommend this product.  Your dog will still attract fleas but keep them at bay and in check.  So I use this in conjuction with capstar.  Capstar once per month and hartz once per month



3.  Homemade flea trap.  To determine if you have fleas in your carpet, omg!  this flea traps really works.  So at night, I have a very shallow bowl, I fill it with water and drops of dish detergent.  Place it on the floor in a room where dogs usually hangs out, with a desk lamp on, and pointed to the bowl of water, the fleas are attracted to the light and tries to reach the light by jumping in the water and gets trap.  





No comments:

Post a Comment